The Mothers' Union in Penistone
There are two groups in the Penistone area, one at St. John's Church, Penistone and one at St. Saviour's Church, Thurlstone.
They both provide an opportunity to meet and share experiences within a framework of Christian fellowship.
The group in Penistone was formed in the 1890's and currently has 30 members meeting monthly at St John's Church. For further information please contact Irene Johnson, branch leader on 01226 763943
The group in Thurlstone was formed with 16 members. Today there is double that number, meeting every month and fund raising for St. Saviour's Church and the less fortunate in the world. For more information please contact Barbara Green, branch leader on 01226 766390
A Brief History
Mary Elizabeth Sumner founded the Society of Christian Women, known as the Mothers' Union, in 1876.
She had an idea for the Mothers Union when she, with her husband and three children, moved to Old Arlesford in Hampshire, where her husband became the Chaplain to the Bishop of Winchester.
She increasingly felt the need of mote thought, careful and prayerful planning in the daily training of children and the sharing of experiences between mothers in evey walk of life.
She invited three friends to join her for tea at the Rectory and they planned out a fellowship of Christian Mothers that later became the Mothers' Union.
From these simple beginnings the Mothers' Union is now an organisation with more than 3.6 million members in 79 countries worldwide.
The backbone of Mothers' Union is its worldwide network of grassroots volunteers. Whatever their individual backgrounds, members are united in their commitment to supporting marriage and family life. They give their time to generously help others, whether by running local projects, supporting international campaigns, or fundraising.
More can be read about the work of the Mothers' Union at the website, www.themothersunion.org